|Posted by Danny Nutt on May 23, 2017 at 8:05 AM|
Apologies for the radio silience on the blog front. We've been rather busy! Right now, however, I've dealt with the inbox, done my list of things to do and it's time for a coffee and a new blog methinks! So...
Now, we do like the sun and the summer don't we? And, we do like the sun and the summer when it's half term, as there's so much to do, right? Yes, it can be expensive and as parents smugly show off about where they're jetting off to for the week's break (or two weeks for some private schools!), those with tighter purse strungs can feel a little left out. But it doesn't have to be this way.
So with this in mind, here is our top 5 list of ideas for half term, all FREE, that can take place in your local park.
1) Play some games. All you need is energy, imagination and team work. Play Hide And Seek, Tag or Grandma's Footsteps. It will help the kids use their brains, burn off some much needed energy and, hopefully, keep them amused and occupied for a whole afternoon.
2) Have a picnic (OK, technically this isn't free as you have to buy food. But, you were going to buy something for lunch anyway, weren't you?) Kids love being involved in getting it all ready: making sandwiches, choosing which flavour crisps they want from the supermarket, etc and the occasion is fun and interactive.
3) Go on a nature trail. There is so much nature in all of our local parks, wherever we live. Help the kids to identify flowers, spot different speices of birds, even guess what breed of dogs they see! Lots of fun to be had with this one and educational too.
4) Find something to paint. Take a few small pots of paint, some brushes, an apron or two, a cup of water, paper and something to lean on and pick a tree or something else and get the kids (and you parents!) to paint what you see. Kids love art and it can be very calming and therapeutic too- for all involved.
5) Make a movie. Work out a story, grab some clothing for costumes and a few props, all from home, get to the park and make your film on your smart phone! Then, later on, when the kids are in bed and you're relaxing with a glass of wine, you can edit it on a program like iMovie. Add captions, credits, music and sound effects. Then when the kids wake up, show them the result!
I hope you all like the ideas we've offered you? Whatever you do, I hope you have a ovely, sun soaked time with your families.